Seven Times, or Understanding Sex and Confidence (with Cam and Karen Poter!)
We're joined with Cam and Karen Poter (a stand-up comedian and his sexually liberated cougar mother) from the podcast Sex Talk with My Mom to deconstruct sex and confidence. The stories get out of control pretty quickly. Mohnish, Kevin, Cam, and Karen cover:
- Why is the way everyone thinks about confidence wrong and how do you actually build confidence?
- How can you better understand your relationship goals (short-term, medium-term, or long-term) and craft a better dating life?
- How did Cam go to the hospital for the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard?
- Do women find most men attractive (like men do)?
- And more, all on this episode.
Cam and Karen Poter?
- Cam and Karen are awesome. If you have no idea who they are, you need to listen to their wonderful podcast Sex Talk with my Mom. It's just incredible, open, honest, sincere, and hilarious. Seriously - listen to this podcast, we highly recommend it. Subscribe to this on iTunes.
- If you're a woman, 35+, and single and ready to mingle, first off, you're probably not listening to this podcast, but second, Karen has a book out called A Cougar's Guide to Getting Your Ass Back Out There - check it out. Here's her Youtube channel, the Karen Lee Poter Show.
Research, Fun Stuff, and More
- If you want to read one book about confidence, I've got you covered - read Confidence by Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic Ph.D. It's written by an actual researcher (business psychologist and professor at UCL and NYU) and it's stellar. Seriously - I've recommended this book to friends, and if you want to really understand confidence for the first time (even if you think you know what you're talking about), this book is basically the last and best word on the subject. The Mating Grounds has an excellent summary of the book here.
- Insightful podcast on how to actually build confidence in your dating life.
- Cam, after the podcast, messaged me and Kev on Facebook with wonderful advice: "Yo dawgs. Great talking with you today. I had one final thought re therapy that I thought I'd pass on. In its best form, I think it's super beneficial. A phenomenal way to gain insight about yourself and the world. However, there's always the risk that you encounter a shitty therapist that fucks with your head more than helps it. I was able to find a great therapist from a recommendation from my friend's therapist that he trusts, so if you're interested in therapy, I suggest asking around to find a good one. You can also try out a few to find one that you most respect and connect with. All this said, I would trust yourself to sniff out the shoddy ones. Just remember that therapists are humans too, ultimately confused like the rest of us."
Credits and Special Thanks
Main Host: Mohnish Soundararajan
Co-Host: Kevin Sanji
Research and Editing: Mohnish Soundararajan
Content Ideation: Mohnish Soundararajan, Vysali Soundararajan, and Justine Brumm
Music: CJ Beats