Unqualified, or What Should I Do the First Week of College?
If you're about to start college, I guarantee you that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. On this episode, Mohnish, Kevin, and Armi talk about being absolutely confused their first week of college, and cover:
- How do I nail the first week of college and set myself up for a healthy college career?
- Why is Armi even on this episode?
- How does the proximity principle and socioemotional selectivity theory affect your first week of college?
- Why is making friendships exponentially harder near the end of college rather than when you're just starting out?
- And more, all on this episode.
Research, Fun Stuff, and More
- 3 years ago, I asked Srinivas Rao if he had any advice about how to handle my first semester of college. Of course, like an Oracle on a mountain top who's been waiting his whole life to be asked this question, he drops this one-liner: You don't have to choose the options in front of you. Whether it's the friends you're hanging out with or the things you want to do with your life, just because it's in front of you, doesn't mean you have to take it. (If you haven't checked out his podcast, you should)
- A lot of the discussion on this episode is based in socioeconomic selectivity theory. Depending on whether a beginning or an ending is salient, our goals literally change. Starting college? Your focus is likely to shift to your future career (knowledge goals). About to die? You'll probably be more motivated to spend time with loved ones (emotional goals). Pretty fascinating.
- The Proximity Principle is simple - if you're physically close to someone, you're more likely to form interpersonal relationships with them. Take advantage of that, by changing your proximity and being in places where people congregate.
- Speaking of making friends - wonderful article from Wait but Why on friendship. If you have no idea what Wait but Why is, then you need to stop what you're doing immediately and read this.
Credits and Special Thanks
Main Host: Mohnish Soundararajan
Co-Hosts: Kevin Sanji and Armi Legge
Content Ideation: Mohnish Soundararajan , Vysali Soundararajan, and Justine Brumm
Editing: Mohnish Soundararajan and Kevin Sanji
Music: CJ Beats